Saturday, March 9, 2013

Confessions of a yoga grump

I have a confession to make. You see, I seem to have a problem. Sometimes, I start to frown. I get upset. In fact, I get downright cranky! It makes me feel like I'm a lot like this guy, and just as much fun to be around:

At which point my lovely partner - a truly patient soul - generally says something like "why don't you do some yoga, sweetie?"

Yes, it's true... I'm a yoga grump! By which I mean that when I don't do yoga, I get grumpy! Apparently yoga should come with a warning label: "Highly addictive. If withdrawn from yoga, the yogi may suffer from grumpiness, aches and pains, mood swings, loss of motivation, couch-potatoness, too much TV, and other symptoms of withdrawal."

The only cure: more yoga! Yoga, almost daily, morning, noon or night. 5 minutes, 50 minutes, or an hour and 50 minutes. Yep, a cup of yoga a day keeps the grumpy bear away!

Yogis, does this happen to you?

6 comments:

  1. Most definitely! Not enough yoga = grumpy and generally out of sorts :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Limited or no yoga definitely affects me! Although with me, instead of being grumpy, I tend to get depressed. I suppose it is an addiction, of sorts, albeit a healthy one.
    I really have enjoyed your other posts about getting more philosophy and a deeper meaning beyond just asana into your classes. I find it really inspiring that you have cared enough to not only blog about it but incorporate the suggestions you received as well.
    Plus I love your "how to" posts! Those are so informative.
    I always enjoy reading your blog. I just recently started one of my own and linked you in the sidebar if that's okay? Take a look if you have a minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Savannah, thanks for the comment! I love to hear feedback and I will totally check out your blog! :)

      Delete
  3. Unbelievable timing! Just last night I was all angry about my laptop & ready to throw it across the room. I thought "maybe practicing headstands will distract me!" ... uh, no. I kept falling & huffing & puffing in frustration.

    Hubby said sweetly, "Are you doing angry headstands? I don't know much about yoga, but that seems pretty un-yoga". I bust out laughing.

    Cue sun salutations for about 10 minutes. Muuuuuch better. Still fell out of my headstand, but I blame that on the cat ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, I can so relate! Your hubby sounds like a wise man... Often when I'm in a grumpy mood I need slow, repetitive yoga to bring me back down to earth!

      Delete